Sharing a Passion for Handmade

"I believe it is important to thirst for knowledge every day of your life. If you are tired of learning, you are probably tired of living... "
Holly J. Stanger

My photo
FloDo is short for Florence's Daughter in honor of my mother who instilled in me my curiosity and appreciation for all things handmade.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Crafting Treasures from the Bounty of the Atlantic


Nubble Light
Wow, 2010 is long gone and it is hard to believe how quickly the last half of it went.  I had an awesome time last summer enjoying the incredibly good weather we experienced here in Maine.  It was a summer to remember.  I managed to get several wonderful beach days in, in the company of my ever patient husband, and reconnected with and  rediscovered the beauty of my home state. 


Pounding Surf


I find spending time at the water's edge very rejuvenating, both physically and spiritually,  and cherished every leisurely moment walking the sand and listening to the soothing sounds of the sea. 






Feeling a sense of peace and calm that can only be found when the everyday stresses are replaced by the serenity of the sea, I spent hours gathering a treasure trove of gems from the sands of the beach and my imagination ran wild with ideas for how to use these natural beauties.  The bits of tumbled shell brought to mind broken china; the tumbled stones, gems. 


Bounty of the Atlantic


It was very hard to leave the water behind each and every time, but the excitement of working with my newly found treasures helped.  I am looking forward to another summer of wonderful weather (especially after this constant bombardment of cold and snow) and can't wait to get out there again. For now, I will spend some time turning my bounty from the Atlantic into pieces of art.  I hope to share them with you one day soon.

For now, I wish all of you a belated Happy New Year and wish for you many opportunities of serenity like those I have been fortunate to experience at the water's edge.



Maine




1 comment:

  1. What a gorgeous scenic area! I can see why you would be able to find peace here - it's lovely :)

    ReplyDelete

FloDo Designs Shop on Etsy